T: +61 2 9233 3989
F: +61 2 8231 6489
Tass has practiced in workplace law since 1990. Tass initially was an Associate to a Deputy President Keogh of the then Australian Industrial Relations Commission (now Fair Work Commission). He remained with the Australian Industrial Relations Commission as a Rules/Elections Officer then as a Senior Research Officer. Tass then joined Clayton Utz in Melbourne and Deacons (now Norton Rose Fulbright). Subsequently, Tass went to Canberra and worked as the National Manager for Corporate and Industrial Relations for the Australian Hotels Association. Tass then returned to Melbourne and worked as a Barrister for 12 years in the workplace law field. In 2012 Tass moved to Sydney and worked in the Employment Group of DLA Piper before joining National Workplace Lawyers.
Tass has been involved in a number of high profile matters in the workplace law field particularly as an advocate. Tass also conducts training and investigations in workplace law and regularly presents at external seminars.
Some of the matters Tass has been involved in include:
- Advising a client on claims of family responsibilities discrimination, obligations under the Fair Work Act 2009, redundancy and contractual terms as part of an overall investigation in Australia and the USA. Tass represented the client at mediation and achieved a successful settlement.
- Providing strategic advice and appearing in State Supreme Courts and the Federal Court in respect of contraventions of confidential information and post-employment restraint obligations. Tass has also sought and obtained an Anton Pillar order.
- Conducting a review and investigating discrimination, bullying and harassment complaints. Providing strategic advice including, where appropriate, settling claims to minimise the risk of further exposure.
- Provided training services (equal opportunity, bullying and harassment), reviewing existing policies and contracts and drafting new policies.
- Advising and representing clients in courts and tribunals in discrimination and sexual harassment claims and where appropriate, challenging the jurisdiction of the tribunals.
- Advising clients on and appearing in a range of industrial matters in Courts and tribunals including election inquiries, breach of award cases, industrial torts and strike action, disputes concerning registered organisations.
- Advising an industrial association on the process of registration under the federal industrial legislation.
- Advising a client on and challenging a former employee’s application for equal remuneration orders under section 302 of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth).
- Advising clients on employment law aspects relevant to due diligence in asset and share sales, including reviewing existing employment arrangements, termination, unfair dismissal, redundancy, application of policies, transfer of statutory entitlements, draft offers of employment.
- Advising a client on matters arising under the Public Sector Employment and Management Act 1992 (NSW).
- Drafting enterprise agreements and advising on and interpreting terms of enterprise agreements and awards.
- Providing redundancy advice including the application of the provisions of the Fair Work Act 2009, contract and policy obligations, award coverage and obligations including considering transitional obligations and the on-going application of the Employment Protection Act provisions, advising on consultation obligations under industrial instruments and applicable legislation , and drafting deeds of release.