T: + 61 2 9233 3989
F: + 61 2 8231 6489
Jason was admitted to practice in 1998. During the first two years of his professional career, he gained a well-rounded knowledge of the law by working in a general practice firm primarily in the areas of workplace law, workers’ compensation and criminal law.
Since 2000, Jason has worked exclusively in the area of workplace law. He has provided advice and representation to employers in a wide range of industries including manufacturing, mining, transport and stevedoring, finance, education and government.
Since the commencement of his legal career, Jason has regularly appeared as an advocate in courts and industrial tribunals.
Some of the matters that Jason has been involved in during recent years include:
- representing the interests of the road transport industry in two major union applications for the making of new contract determinations under Chapter 6 of the New South Wales Industrial Relations Act 1996;
- assisting an employer in the manufacturing industry to respond to a WorkCover investigation following a workplace fatality;
- commencing proceedings in Fair Work Australia on behalf of a large Australian employer for an order to terminate a period of protected industrial action on the grounds that the industrial action was intractable and causing significant economic harm to the industrial parties;
- representing the interests of an employer in connection with an investigation by the Office of the Australian Building and Construction Commission;
- defending an employer in proceedings before the Federal Magistrates Court in which an executive alleged a breach of trade practices legislation by the employer in connection with pre-employment negotiations;
- appearing before the former Australian Industrial Relations Commission for a wholly owned subsidiary of an Australian university to defend an application by an academic for reinstatement pursuant to a dispute resolution procedure in the applicable enterprise agreement; and
- defending a multi-national pallet business in proceedings before Fair Work Australia in which the relevant union sought to rely upon the good faith bargaining provisions of the Fair Work Act 2009 to prevent the business from conducting an approval vote for a proposed enterprise agreement.
Jason is also a contributor to a variety of publications and seminars on workplace law topics.
Jason holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree majoring in Economics and Industrial Relations and an Honours Degree in Law. He also has experience as an Australian Commercial Disputes Centre Accredited Workplace Mediator.